Adductor Muscle Stretch :- Start Position
- Relaxation position.
- Pelvic Neutral.
- Chin gently tucked, neck soft and lengthening.
Adductor Muscle Stretch :- Action
- Lift left knee up and then right
- drape fingers over knees.
- Let your knees slowly relax outward and hold for 2 or three breaths.
- With each outward breath feel the muscles of the inner thighs "melt" and the distance between the knees
- Slowly bring the knees together, and repeat 3 times.
- Focus on letting tension go in the stretching muscles, and also in the neck and shoulders.
Adductor Muscle Stretch :- watch point
Since this is a stretch for a tight muscle we focus a lot on releasing into lengthening
and a little on pressure from the hands to force widening.
Adductor muscle stretch (Scroll right>>>...)
|Hip Adductor Stretch :
Hip adductor stretch benefits:
Releases postural tension.
Mobilizes hip adductor muscles.
Brings awareness to a problem before it causes pain and reduced performance.
If you know there is a problem you can self treat before it causes you grief
(see right hand panel).
The adductor muscles are prone to tenseness at rest - it's a
postural bad habit that we need to kick.
Stress in your life, or long periods of
sitting, or activities such as kicking and running
will aggravate this tension to the point where pain and discomfort
can affect your day time (and night time!) activities.
Trigger points are the cause of any associated pain and
a program of stretching, walking and trigger point self massage, provides the solution.
A good time to check for tightness and trigger points is before you get out of bed because this
is the time when they are at their most obvious. Hence the title on this page!
- Shirley A Sahrmann: Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes;
Publ. Mosby 2002
The Official Body Control Pilates Manual Available from: http://www.bodycontrol.co.uk/
(Adductor stretch © Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project