Star Fish:- Start Position
- Lie in the Relaxation Position.
- Breath in.
Star Fish:- Action
- Zip and hollow, pelvic neutral, scapular anchor.
- While breathing out, slide the left leg away along the floor, and
take the right arm behind you in a backstroke movement.
- While breathing in, remain zipped and return the limbs to the start position.
- Repeat the exercise but this time for the opposite limbs.
- Repeat 3-5 times.
Looks simple, but hard to co-ordinate!
What it does
- Teaches the hip flexors to relax and lengthen up to their required
- Teaches the abdominal oblique muscles to resist lumbar extension with rotation during hip extension.
Lumbar extension with rotation is the most common movement pattern associated with
lower back pain(1).
- Maintain pelvic neutral!
- Do not let your back arch! -Only take your arm behind your head,
as far as it will go without your back arching.
- If you feel pain in you lower back, read through and attempt the modified Hip Flexor Stretch.
If the pain is really severe, seek professional advice.
The next step:-
Imagine that there is a chocolate eclair under the foot that is not moving, and you don't want
to crush it!
1. Refer "Lumbar Rotation-Extension Syndrome" in:-
Shirley A. Sahrmann: Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes Publ. Mosby 2002
© Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project www.easyvigour.net.nz