Caution: Do not squeeze to excess - it is possible to cause pubic symphysis pain with this exercise!
Pillow Squeeze:- Start Position
- Lie in the Relaxation Position (Ref: Relaxation Position) with a pillow between your knees, and your feet together on the floor.
Pillow Squeeze:- Action
- Breathe in wide and full.
- Zip and enguage the pelvic floor. Maintain pelvic neutral.
- Breathe out and at the same time, squeeze the pillow as hard as you can!.
- Now breathe normally. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Maintain pelvic neutral! Keep upper body relaxed!
- Repeat 5 times.
- The harder you can zip, and engage the pelvic floor, and bring your navel to your spine, the greater the benefit!
- Don't squeeze the pillow, too hard - see above caution!
- This is an isometric (no actual movement) exercise.
Position for the Pillow Squeeze:-
What it does:-
- Strengthens inner thigh: Great preparation for horse riding, skating and sports requiring leg agility.
- The inner thigh (adductor muscles) anchor the hip joint in its socket, and aid in stabilizing the sacro-iliac joint.
- Maintain pelvic neutral!
- Keep your upper body and arms relaxed!
- Keep your neck relaxed! (Feel free to place a small cushion under your head).
Useful related exercises:-
If you have buttock pain and or lower back pain related to an over-mobile sacro-iliac joint, I recommend:-
Caution! Do not perform the "pretzel stretch"! Perform all stretches around the hip and lumbar area under strict "zip, hollow, and pelvic neutral " conditions.
- Double leg Battement.
- Spine Curl with Pillow.
- Hip flexor stretch.
- Hip adductor stretch.
- Hip flexor stretch with crossed leg.
© Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project