Previous lesson:- Pilates Low Back Pain (5): Leg Slides and Knee Drops
Knee Folds:- Start Position
- Lie on the floor in the Relaxation Position
- Check that you are in Pelvic Neutral
Knee Folds:- Action
- Breathe in to back and sides (Ref. "Finding Chest Neutral"
- Zip and hollow, and breathe out while bringing your right knee up. Place no weight on your left foot! Imagine there is a fragile egg under it!
- Breathe in while maintaining "Zip and Hollow", then breathe out while the leg returns to the start position.
- Five times each leg!
Watch Points for Knee Folds and Windscreen Wiper Legs:-
- "Maintain Navel to Spine"
- Try to keep all other muscles relaxed.
- Maintain "Pelvic and Chest Neutral"
- Take your time! Concentrate on good technique!
Windscreen Wiper Leg, Start Position:-
Lie on the floor in the Relaxation Position
Check that you are in Pelvic Neutral
Windscreen Wiper Leg, Action:-
- Breath in to back and sides (Ref. "Finding Chest Neutral"
- Zip and hollow, and while breathing out, bring your left leg up to the knee fold position.
- Breathe in and, and while breathing out, rotate the leg at the hip, bringing the knee out and the foot in to touch the right knee.
- Breath in and, while breathing out, reverse the rotation, with your foot swinging away from the right knee.
- Repeat five times each leg.
What these exercise do-
Injury free running and walking starts with a stable, neutrally positioned
Lumbo-Pelvic region! You will also be less prone to injury when lifting or doing gardening!
- Teach you to maintain Pelvic Neutral under challenge.
- In the case of Windscreen Wiper leg, the hip joint is given a "Range of Motion" Workout.
Pilates Low Back Pain (7): Alexander Technique and doing "Monkey"
Pilates for Low Back Pain
© Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project