Simplified double straight leg stretch:- Start Position
The small of your back is pressed gently to the mat. Keep it there throughout!
- Lie on your back, legs to ceiling, knees bent
- Lightly cradle your head and neck in your fingers. You should be able to see your elbows
Simplified double straight leg stretch:- Action
- Inhale to prepare
- Exhale to curl your head neck and shoulders up and straighten your legs toward the ceiling:
Lengthen the side of the neck and gently tuck the chin.
- Inhale to hold
- Exhale to return to start (small of the back stays on the mat)!
- And inhale to prepare (repeat four to 10 times).
Treat this "simplified" version with respect because what it loses in physical demand vis-a-vis
"double straight leg stretch" it gains in terms of mind and body integration!
|The Double Leg Stretch:
What it does
- This is a whole of body integration exercise that combines a number of movements with core stability. Your mind
has a lot to concentrate on which is great for learning to consciously
optimize your body position and movement.
- A challenging intermediate core strength exercise. Nevertheless it is within the reach of most participants.
- Core control: the hip bones remain still and the small of the back remains down!
- Cradle the head (don't pull it up)!
- Relax and lengthen the sides of the neck!
- Elbows wide, upper chest open
- Shirley A Sahrmann: Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes;
Publ. Mosby 2002
- The Official Body Control Pilates Manual Available from: http://www.bodycontrol.co.uk/
© Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project